CoLyX - High Performance Fluid-Structure-Interaction
CoLyX is a two-way Fluid-Structure-Interaction (FSI) solution able to handle huge CFD-models efficiently in both directions. CoLyX enables the user to couple arbitrary Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Computational Structural Mechanics (CSM) codes in an iterative loop. CoLyX links your preferred simulation tools and permits to solve true aero-elastic problems.
The coupling of various Finite Element codes for multidisciplinary simulations grows increasingly important. Among all possible combinations, the very common coupling of CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) and CSM (Computational Structural Mechanics) imposes two specific problems when applied to real-world problems:
- Since the output of CSM-computations are deflections, the corresponding CFD-mesh has to be topologically modified. Therefore robust mesh adaptation/morphing algorithms suited to the high quality standards of CFD-meshes are needed.
- CFD models often consist of several millions of cells. Hence the performance of the above mentioned CFD-mesh adaption which has to follow the CSM deformations is a critical issue.
Key features of CoLyX:
- High performance: The computational resources needed for mesh adaptation/morphing and coupling are small compared to the solution process of the corresponding CFD-models.
- Mesh quality: The quality of the adapted meshes is very good. The cell squish/skewness often outperforms the original meshes. Further CoLyX preserves the surface continuity of the deformed surface meshes to avoid potential pressure oscillations.
- Low-level interfaces: The communication between CoLyX and the used CFD/CSM codes relies only on their standard file interfaces. Dependencies on software specific functionalities (e.g. dynamic meshing, user defined functions, programming interfaces) are consistently avoided. Therefore version dependencies on the used software are low.
- Integration: CoLyX can be integrated into state of the art job management systems (e.g. LSF, SGE, PBS) to deploy the CFD/CSM jobs. If no job management system is present, the entire steering functionality can rely on plain shell commands as well.
- CoLyX is available for 32 and 64 bit Windows and Linux platforms
- Currently available CFD interfaces: FLUENT and CFX (StarCD on demand)
- Currently available CSM interfaces: NASTRAN, ABAQUS and ANSYS